List Of Brands:
Indication Type Description:
As per US FDA guidelines as per USPDA 1997
It is the intention to bring out the salient features. Hence relevent details as prescribed by US FDA guidelines as per USPDA 1997 are brought out clearly in the following chapters.
Descriptons are detailed only to the Group Head and the indiviual items can be seen by visiting the Web Site
Antacids are taken by mouth to relieve heartburn, sour stomach, or acid indigestion. They work by neutralising excess acid. Some antacid combinations also contain simethicone which may relieve the symptoms of excess gas
Antacids alone or in combinations with simethicone may also be used to treat the symptoms of stomach or duodenal ulcers
This information applies to the following medicines-
1.Alumina, Calcium carbonate. 2. Alumina, magnesia, Calcium carbonate and simethicone 3.Alumina and Simethicone 4.Aluminium Hydroxide 5. Alumina and Sodium bicarbonate 6..Calcium Carbonate , Magnesia and Simmethicone
1.Chew tablets throughly before swallowing,follow it with a glass of water
2.Ulcer patients should adhere strictly to prescribed drug schedule
3.Antacids may impair the absorption of many drugs. Do not take other oral drugs within 1 or 2 hours of antacid administration.
3.Magnesium- containing products have a laxative effect and may cause diarrhoea. Aluminium and calcium containing products may cause constipation
4.Inform your doctor,if relief is not obtained or if there are any symptoms that suggest bleeding, such as black tarry stools or coffee ground vomitus.
5. Allergies- Tell your doctor if you are allergic to any other substances such as foods, preservatives or dyes.
6. Diet- Make sure that your doctor knows if you are on a low sodium diet. Some antacids contain large amounts of sodium.
7. Pregnancy- There have been reports of antacids causing side efects in babies whose mothers took antacids for a long time especially in high doses during pregnancy. Also sodium containing medicines should be avoided if you to tend to retain body water.
8. Breast feeding- some aluminium, calcium or magnesium containing products may pass into breast milk. However, these medicines have not been reported to cause problems in nursing babies.
9. Children- anatcids should not be given to children (under 6 years of age) unless ordered by the doctor.
10. Elderly- aluminium containing products should not be used in elderly persons with bone problems or with Alzeheimers disease.
11. Other medicines- When your are taking antacids it is important that your doctor knows thta you are taking any other medicines.
12. Tell your doctor if you have any other medical problems, to avoid any ill effects.
13. Dosage- Dose of antacids will be different for different patients. Follow your doctors orders.
14. Missed dose-
Follow the medicine as given by the doctor. If you miss a dose take it as soon as possible. Hoever if it is time for the next dose, skip the mised dose and go back to your regular schedule.
Do not double doses.
15. Take with or without food