WYETH- AYERST INC
WYETH- AYERST INC
Clofibrate 500mg caps,
List of Related Indications:
- Cholesterol lowering
List Of Drugs:
- Clofibrate ( * ) - @ Antihyperlipermic
Indication Type Description:
Dosages/ Overdosage Etc
Interaction with Food
Pregnancy and lactation
Interacting drugs- summary-
Hypothrommbiminemic effects of these agents increased by concurrent clofibrate. Reduce dosage of anticoagulant if necessary to maintain prothrombin time at the desired level
Insulin / Sulfonylureas
r pharmacologic effect increased by concurrent admin. of clofibrate, resulting in hyperglycemia .Momitor blood glucose
therapeutic effects of clofibrate by impairing metabolic clearance Lower dosage of Probenecid may be necessary
Nausea, vomiting, diarhea, loose stools.
Increased or decreased angina, cardiac arrhythmias.
Skin rash, alopecia, dry skin, dry brittle hair.
Hepatic or renal dysfunction
Monitoring- serum lipid determinations.
Perform complete blood counts.
Dosages/ Overdosage Etc:
Adults- 2g daily in divided doses
1. If GI upset occurs, may be taken with food.
2. Notify physicain,if these effects occur- chest pain, shortness of breath, irregular heart beat, severe stomach pain with nausea and vomiting, fever and chills, blood in the urine, decrease in urination, swellng of lower extremities, weight gain.
3. Allergies- Tell your doctor if you have ever had any unusual or allergic raections to clofibrate or other related medicines. Also tell your doctor if youn are allergic to any other substances such as foods, preservatives or dyes.
4. Diet- make sure your doctor knows if you are a low -sodium diet, low sugar or any other special diet. Most medicines contain more than their active their active ingredient.
5. Pregnancy- be sure that you discussed with your doctor especially if you plan to become pregnant in future pregnant
6. Breast feeding- this medicine is not recommended during breast-feeding because it may cause unwanted effects in nursing babies
7. Children- not recommended for use in children under 2 years of age since cholesterol is needed in normal development.
8. Elderly- this medicine is not expeteced to cause different side effects or problems in older people than in younger adults.
9. Other medicines- tell your doctor if you are taking any other medicines- anticoagulant - use with clofibrate may increase the effects of the anticoagulant
10. Other medical problems- tell your doctor if you have any other medical problems- Gallstones or Stomach or intestinal ulcer -may make these conditions worse. Heart disease or Kidney disease or Liver disease - higher blood levels may result and increase the risk of side effects.
11. Missed dose- If you miss a dose of this medicine take it as soon as possible. However if it is almost time for your next dose go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not double doses.
Clofibrate predominantly lowers serum triglycerides and very low density lipoproteins(VLDL). Serum cholestrol and low density (LDL) are lowered less predictably and erffectively.
70% of the drug is received in the urine as as glucuronide ester . The plasma elimination half-life is approx 15 hrs.
Interaction with Food:
May be taken with meals to reduce GI discomfort
Pregnancy and lactation:
Weigh the possible benefits of the drug to the patient against the possible hazard
Contraindicated in nursing women